What are the 4 Common Types of Remodeling Projects
When it comes to being a homeowner, you are always looking for ways to improve your home. Be it for your enjoyment, much need upgrades, to improve your investment, or to eventually sell. We have condensed the remodeling projects into four categories that reflect this. Keep reading to see why these common types of remodeling projects matter.
Must-Have Remodeling Projects
For this category, we are defining it as projects that are necessities. These are aspects of your home you need and can’t live without. You could see them as investments, but they are essential to making your home inhabitable. These must-have remodeling projects include:
- Roofing, Siding, and Gutters: These are necessary to maintain a home’s structural integrity and weatherproofing. Roofing is the most obvious. However, siding and proper gutters also help keep moisture and mold out of your home.
- Windows & Doors: Upgrading or repairing old windows and doors helps improve your home’s energy efficiency. It is also essential for security. In addition, having proper windows and doors can help save money overall.
- Flooring: You need a place to walk but also something that can accommodate your lifestyle. Be it kids, pets, and/or entertaining. It might feel like an aesthetic project, but having durable, well-installed flooring for your home is important.
And while not a specific project, we include handyman services in this group. This includes electrical, plumbing, and other odd jobs. It also includes ongoing maintenance of your home. All are helping to prevent larger repair bills. These projects aim to keep your home safe, secure, and weatherproof.
Curb Appeal Projects
For these projects, you have hardscaping and landscaping. This includes patios, fences, porches, decks, and softscapes. These can significantly enhance the look and feel of a home’s exterior. For this, let’s focus on the building projects that fall under this category:
- Hardscape & Patios: These projects include anything that uses pavers, concrete, and stone. Think walkways, driveways, retaining walls, and outdoor living areas. Hardscapes and patios are great for entertaining and adding functional space outside.
- Fences: While you could argue this is a must-have, in some places, it isn’t. It really depends on your lifestyle. If you have pets or kids, you may find this a necessity. However, overall it does add to the aesthetic appeal of your home. Fences come in various materials, including wood, vinyl, and metal, and can be customized to fit the style of the house.
- Porches & Decks: Adding a patio or deck to a home can create additional living space and curb appeal. A porch or deck creates a functional and inviting space with various features, such as built-in seating, lighting, and heating.
Curb appeal projects can significantly enhance a home’s exterior, increase its value, and make it more enjoyable.
Investing In Your Home
In this category, we are including the larger remodeling projects. Hence the investment part. Yes, they cost significantly more than other projects (maybe minus some necessities). However, when done right, they also give you the most return on your money. So let’s discuss how these projects below can provide you with investment power:
- Kitchens & Bathrooms: These are two of a home’s most renovated areas and can significantly impact its value. You can change layouts, add features, and/or include upgrades. Spending money in the right places can increase your home value and functionality.
- Additions: Any project that adds square footage to a home can increase its value. It needs to be done correctly and with the proper permits. These include sunrooms, a second story, garages, or any expansion of your house.
- General Remodeling: While this encompasses a wide range of updates, many help improve the space. For example, adding energy-efficient lighting or upgraded outlet covers can help enhance the house’s overall functionality and aesthetic appeal.
Investment remodeling projects can significantly increase the value of a home. They make it more appealing to potential buyers while also enhancing the functionality and enjoyment of the house for current owners.
Specialty Home Remodeling Projects
We call these the nice-to-haves. No, you don’t NEED them, but maybe you WANT them! After all, this is your home; make it a space you love. Specialty remodeling projects are typically more specific and focused on a particular area or function of the house. Some examples of specialty remodeling projects include:
- Home Theaters: A home entertainment space involve designing and building a dedicated space for movie watching and gaming. The theater should include high-quality audio and visual equipment, comfortable seating, and lighting.
- Wine Cellars: This could be an addition or converting an existing space. Wine cellars require specialized climate control, lighting, and shelving knowledge. Great for entertaining or just for fun!
- Home Offices: With more people working from home, home office remodeling projects have become increasingly popular. These projects involve creating a comfortable, functional, and aesthetically pleasing dedicated workspace.
This is not an exhaustive list of specialty remodeling projects. It’s any build that focuses on creating specific, specialized areas of the home that enhance your lifestyle.
7th State Builders Can Help You!
No matter what kind of remodeling project you want, we can help! Any remodeling project should improve the comfort and livability of your home. And when it’s done right, it can enhance aesthetics and drive up its value. That’s why you should trust the experts in home remodeling – us!
Contact us today; we provide no-obligation-free estimates. Full disclosure, we aren’t your cheapest option. That might be weird for a small business to say, but we know our value. We get it done right the first time. Also, ask us about our 0% financing.