5 Warning Signs of Foundation Issues You Should Know About
As a homeowner, you know how tough Maryland winters can be on your house. The combination of heavy rain and low water tables often leads to the flooding of crawl spaces and basements. More noteworthy is the fact that flooded basements can weaken your home’s foundation in the long run. To prevent this, look out for these five common foundation issues.
1. Your Walls and Floors Are Misaligned
Poor water drainage or excessive soil movement around your home can cause the foundation to shift, resulting in walls and floors falling out of alignment. Look out for warped, sagging, or cracked floors and walls, as well as doors and windows that are misaligned. If your doors jam or your windows are difficult to close, it could be a sign that your foundation has issues.
2. Your Foundation Is No Longer Straight
Just like the walls and floors, your home’s foundation can shift out of alignment too. Check to see if your block foundation or poured concrete walls are perfectly straight. Also, look out for bulges or curves as this could mean the foundation has shifted.
3. Your Crawl Space or Basement is Damp
A continually leaking crawl space or basement can be a sign that water is seeping through a cracked foundation. This type of moisture can also result in mold, musty smell, and even bugs like centipedes, silverfish, and pill bugs.
If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s time to check the foundation – and investigate water proofing solutions, such as those offered by 7th State Builders.
4. Your House Has Cracks
As a house ages, you’re apt to see cracks here and there in certain areas. Some cracks are harmless, such as hairline cracks in the mortar between bricks and blocks. Or, cracks at an L-shaped section of your structure, as well as most vertical cracks you may notice.
Other cracks are signs of more serious foundation issues, including:
- Stair-step cracks, especially in masonry joints. Look out for cracks that are wider than a quarter of an inch. This could be a sign that you have a moisture problem causing pressure on that section of the wall.
- Horizontal cracks. This type of crack is often caused by the ground beneath and around your foundation expanding and contracting. And, this could be a sign that you need to repair or replace your foundation.
- Cracks in your chimney. This can also be a sign of a shifted foundation – as can a chimney that’s no longer straight.
5. Your Concrete is Chipping
Chips and flakes in a concrete foundation could be signs of trouble. Poke the area in question with a screwdriver. If you can easily break off pieces of concrete, it’s likely the original concrete was mixed with too much water and may need to be replaced.
Let 7th State Builders Help with Your Foundation Issues
7th State Builders is a licensed home remodeling and building service in Maryland. We have more than twenty years of experience in servicing residential projects, including waterproofing and encapsulating crawl spaces and basements. We can also repair or replace your foundation, to improve the structural integrity of your home. Look to 7th State Builders for all your home improvement needs. Contact us today for a free foundation inspection!